Tuxedo is a semi-formal wear for men. It was referred as Dinner clothes back on the day thus this is worn only by evening and “black-tie events”. It was introduced in England around 1885 and to New York around 1889. It was usually worn by social elite of New York back in the days. In some places like Italy, France, Germany, Poland, Russia, Turkey and other European places, the jacket is known as Smoking. While in Spain it is called esmoquin.
There are guidelines on how to wear Tuxedo right.
- For Tuxedo Jacket wear a Single Breast Jacket with one button as this is more common style of tuxedo. Double Brest Jacket is also acceptable.
- Keep your jacket black or midnight blue
- Opt for jetted pockets
- For trouser, it must be a high waist style and the base material must be the same with the material used in the jacket.
- In your waist cover you could use either waistcoat or cummerbund. Waistcoat is a classic option. Materials used must also be the same with the materials used for jacket. For modern fashion, cummerbund nowadays have small hidden pocket.
- For the evening shirt, you could use either Wing-Collar or Turndown-Collar. It functions just the same with a regular dress shirt but have special features in it like studs, cuffs and bosom.
- For the tie you could either choose with butterfly, semi-butterfly, pointed or straight end. Tie should match the jacket hence if it’s black, use black tie.
- Wear a black knee high socks
- There are two types of shoes to pair with black tie, formal pumps or formal lace-up.
- Wearing watches back in the days are not appropriate with tuxedo as you are not supposed to check the time as it will seem rude for the host. But in recent fashion it is already tolerated so long as it is slim.
- Do not use a pre-tied model for necktie.
- Flap type pockets are not appropriate for tuxedo as it will.
- Wearing necktie on Tuxedo.
- Wearing a belt.
- Placing cummerbund around your waist facing down.
- Wear two or more button if you are using Single breasted Tuxedo.
- Wearing thick wristwatch.
Going through the guidelines for the black tie attire will sound pretty strict, but if would like to follow the classic standard with everything right in places, it really is.
But in many occasion in recent years as the fashion trend has been evolving through time, there are experiment done by some celebrities leading on a new way of wearing black tie thus wearing them on weddings. But as a classical fashion Tuxedos are worn in the evening thus known for Dinner clothes.